Last Updated: 9/ 9/ 2021
500 bucks and a mountain bike? Not a rare combination. But still, you might find a number of best mountain bikes under 500 dollars with decent-quality and compelling features that are enough to meet your basic mountain biking needs. However, not every bike is of your kind of product so, scrolling and deciding are two different things.
I have compiled a list of top 8 mountain bikes under $500 with quick legit reviews, buying guides, specifications, features, and pros & cons you should look at before buying one.
What is the Best Mountain Bike Under 500?
Reliable for different tracks, stability, wider central rib, extra grip; Moongoose Argus is the best mountain bike for under $500 you can buy. The wide knobby tires allow it to handle various terrains (more grippy on snowy and sandy tracks). Further, it is a good choice for taller people in terms of stability.
List of Top 8 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 Dollars
- Mongoose Argus Fat Tire (For Sand And Snow)
- BESPORTBLE 21 Speeds (For Complex Terrains)
- Vilano Blackjack 3.0 29.er (For Paved And Single Tracks)
- Hiland 24 26 Inches (For Basic Trail Riding)
- Huffy Hardtail (For Smooth Shifting)
- Hiland 27.5 Inch (For All-weather Stopping Power)
- SIRDAR S-900 27 Speed 27.5 Inches (For All-weather Stopping Power)
- OBK 27.5 Wheels Bike (For All-weather Stopping Power)
👉 NOTE: Reviews are based on numerous trials and errors with these machines. Let’s dig into it and find the best for your endeavors.
Mongoose Argus Fat Tire
Top of the list for a reason, for your off-road trail, it’s one of the reliable mountain bikes to carry riders of different sizes. Its stainless steel frame can easily accommodate rider heights from 5’6” to 6′.
|WHEEL SIZE/ FRAME||26 Inches/ 17 inches (MD)|
|Number of Speeds||7|
Stability would also not be an issue since it has a wider central rib. It is made of Shimano to rely on its accuracy and reliability when looking at its drivetrain.
- A 7-speed twist shifter makes it easy to adapt to your terrain.
- Mechanical disc brakes supply quick, effective braking even in slippery conditions.
- 26 x 4-inch knobby mountain fat tires offer excellent stopping power and tons of traction in sand and snow.
✅ BEST FOR: Fat tire provides extra grip on sand and snow surfaces.
- Climb Hills Smoothly.
- Smooth-rolling off-road Knobby Tires.
- Sensitive levers for Brakes and Shifters for Grip.
- Confident Stopping Power.
- Pedals Need to be Improved.
Real Customer Experience: According to recent reviews, the product still has credibility. Customers found it really useful for dirt roads in rural areas since the wider tires traverse the road a lot easier. However, one customer complained about the gears being improperly tuned and constantly shifting gears without the rider’s input.
BESPORTBLE 21 Speeds
You will find this Besportble as one of the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars that help you conquer a steep mountain pass with extreme grip and balance. Ride on this BESPORTBLE 21 Speed Mountain Bike with Aluminum Frame Suspension Fork Bike with Mechanical Disc Brakes Derailleur System and enjoy the most thrilling moment now!
|Number of Speeds||21|
|Item Weight||35.3 Pounds|
|Suspension Type||Rear, Front|
|Wheel Size||27.5 inches|
Conquering isn’t easy if you’re not equipped with the right belongings that you’ll require a bike that can easily ride on rocky and hard surfaces without abrasive damage.
✅ BEST FOR: Best derailleur to provide the best support for complex terrains.
- The comfortable saddle and rounded tires absorb bumps.
- Provide proper response on uneven surfaces.
- It comes with a PP water bottle; you can fill the bottle with water when thirsty.
- Some repair tools, like an open-end wrench, Allen key, etc., are included.
- Easily changes gears and provide speed excitement
- Mechanical disc brake helps you stop confidently
- The instructions aren’t obvious, so it takes a while, but you can figure it out.
Real Customer Experience: The buyers have found it ideal for everyday rides to work, school, or cross-country rides.
Vilano Blackjack 3.0 29.er
Especially when we talk about the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars, the Vilano Bikes has provided inexpensive, high-quality bikes, inflatable stand-up paddleboards and devices for mobility assistance, and more. Vilano Blackjack 3.0 29er is one of the economical options below $500 you can get.
|Brand/ Frame||VILANO/ Hand Built Butted 6061 Alloy 29er HardTail
|Rims||Double Wall Alloy|
|Frame Size||17 inches|
|Wheel Size||29 inches|
Thick 29 inch wheels provide a safe ride on paved and single tracks.
Not only for mountain trails, but this streamlined frame design is also ideal for students, office staff, urban environments, or any easy commute.
- Hand Built Butted 6061 Alloy 29er Hardtail Frame.
- Mechanical Disc Brakes
- Suspension Fork w/ Lockout
- Double Wall Alloy Rims
- 8 Speed EF-51 Integrated Shifter / Brake Lever
- So much smoother and rolls better.
- Best for Enter-level MTB
- Uncomfortable saddle
Real Customer Experience: This bike is recommended for steep gravel roads due to recent fantastic reviews (most customers endorse it). An unhappy customer complained about a broken handlebar housing and front brake nut while installing the bars.
Hiland 24 26 Inches
For the price, it’s a good deal for basic trail riding and the street. Everything about the bike was excellent, except the tire tubes.
|Brand/Frame||HH Hiland/ Carbon Steel|
|Fork||ZOOM Suspension Fork|
|Wheel Size||26 Inches|
|Brake Style||Linear Pull|
|Number of Speeds||18|
What makes this product one of the best mountain bikes under 500 bucks is the surety that pedaling up a hill will be easier.
✅ BEST FOR: Best for basic level trailing.
- Hiland had corrected the valve to American standard – Schrader valve(A.V).
- Hiland steel frame, 24/26*1.95 Kenda tires, disc-brake, Taiwan suspension fork. Frame lifetime warranty.
- Shift twist grip shifters with 21 speeds, pedaling up a hill will be more comfortable.
- 85% pre-assembled, come with essential assembly tools, straightforward to assemble.
- Free kickstand and pedals included. Hiland customized kickstand, nice-looking and practical; you don’t need to buy an extra kickstand.
- 24 inch ideal for 4’7” & 5’5″ teenager, 26 inch ideal for 5’5″ & 6’1”.
- Easy assembly.
- Ergonomic design for comfort.
- The complete SHIMANO drive system.
- Able to go on any terrain.
- Valves needed improvement, but are fixed now.
Real Customer Experience: Around 95% of customers rate is really high for the money. However, 5% complain of bad front disc brake and gears sticking in the spokes.
The incredible bike takes about 20 mins to assemble. Very easy and comes with all the tools needed. The kickstand is pretty good too. Thus far, this bike shifts well, and once in gear, you don’t hear the derailleur dragging on. Just a shift and then silence. Awesome!
|Size||17.5 Inch Frame|
|Wheel Size||24/26/27.5 inches|
|Brake Style||Linear Pull|
|Number of Speeds||21|
|Item Weight||45.3 Pounds|
If you’re looking for some easily portable best mountain bikes under 500 USD, then here is the one with all the required tools to assemble easily and in a single place.
✅ BEST FOR: Portable bike to be taken and transported easily.
- Huffy Tekton is a standout ideal for a rider height above 5 feet, 10 inches.
- The matte black finish has a clear gloss overcoat for a remarkable look.
- Our limited 10-year frame warranty backs the lightweight aluminum hardtail frame.
- Provides more rolling momentum, so it’s easier to pedal for speed and acceleration.
- An all-Shimano drivetrain, the Shimano REVO Twist and Shimano indexed rear derailleur deliver 21 speeds with seamless, smooth twist shifting.
- The suspension fork absorbs bumps for a better ride.
- Oversized tires maximize traction for dirt and gravel paths in wet or dry conditions.
- This traction is especially handy for climbs and descents.
- Premium padded ATB saddle has stitched sides for lasting quality.
- Alloy linear-pull brakes together with machined alloy wheel rims provide smooth stopping power.
- A slight-rise handlebar enables upright riding to minimize back and shoulder strain.
- ATB-type resin pedals and Kraton grips provide maximum comfort.
- A nice bike to easily assemble.
- It’s quite simple and comes with all the necessary equipment.
- The kickstand is also surprisingly awesome.
- So far, this bike shifts well, and you don’t hear the derailleur dragging on while in gear.
- It cannot go fast
- The gear ratio is abysmal, and at the highest gear, it is so tough to pedal.
Real Customer Experience: Despite one customer’s complaint about the assembly, the bike is a great combination of budget, balance, and comfort, especially for kids over 12 years old.
Hiland 27.5 Inch
Bikes are personal devices, and for a particular type of rider, every bike suits a different need. This one of the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars will surpass your quality and performance standards. We wouldn’t build a bike if it didn’t, either.
|Frame Size||19.5 inches|
|Wheel Size||27.5 inches|
|Number of Speeds||27|
|Suspension/Weight||Front/ 40.95 Pounds|
If you’re addicted to adventure on mountains and sloppy rides, then it’s your supreme choice.
✅ BEST FOR: Have all-weathers supporting power.
- This bike has an ultralight aluminum frame of high quality and an inner wire style.
- The braking system is made of a hydraulic double disc brake. And in any case, 27-speed shifters ensure absolute power.
- The 27.5-inch wheels and suspension fork lock-out make for a perfect experience on mountain roads, highways, and forest roads.
- 85% pre-assembled, simple to assemble, free pedals, assembly tools required included.
- For a person 5’7 ‘- 6’ tall, the 18-inch frame is suitable. For a person 6′- 6 ‘6’ tall, the 19.5-inch frame is suitable.
- Quick assembly with ease
- This bike has an ultralight, high-quality aluminum frame.
- Providing a practical and powerful braking effect
- Be careful about widening holes on a bike; it will affect the weight capacity.
- The kickstand is a piece of garbage but can be improved.
Real Customers Experience: Customer reviews indicate that the bike is losing some quality standards, especially with the pedals. There is no smooth shifting as it skips gears occasionally and sometimes slips the chain mid gear switch, but you get exactly what you pay for.
SIRDAR S-900 27 Speed 27.5 Inches
The bike was as easy to assemble as it was stated. The instructions were easy to follow and offered great detail on what to do and each step. It is an excellent machine! 27 gears bike that can allow you a smooth experience regardless of how rough the terrain may be.
|Wheel Size||27.5 inches|
|Number of Speeds||27|
|Frame Size||16 inches|
|Suspension||Rear, Front, Dual|
If you’re on an adventure where sloppy climbs and rocky paths can offer a big threat to you, then this bike can be your best option.
✅ BEST FOR: Gravel Terrains.
- Aluminum alloy body with components of high carbon steel such as handlebar, cord, etc.
- The 3-speed front derailleur and 9-speed derailleur have 27 super smooth moving, finger-type shifter speeds.
- To help you smooth over dirt, 27.5×1.95in wide tires with a premium aluminum suspension fork.
- 1x mountain cross-country saddle, 1x broad soft saddle, ideal for mountain roads and highways, with two replaceable saddles.
- Installing the front wheels, handlebars, pedal, and saddle is all you need to do. 95% of the bike has been assembled.
- There is competent customer service for SIRDAR. For 1 year, they have had after-sales support.
- Adjustable front fork
- Thicker steel tube
- Front and rear lights
- Anti-explosion anti-skid tires
- This is not a speed bike, but it is smooth
Real Customer Experience: Apart from complaints about assembly, the bike is a great combination of features and budget.
OBK 27.5 Wheels Bike
This one of the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars has a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds and is built for riders between 5’7″ and 6’1″ in height. All the necessary assembly tool+s are included in the kit, allowing the pedals, handlebar, and front wheels to be easily assembled. Before riding the bike for the first time, airing up the tires is also necessary.
|Frame Size||17 inches|
|Wheel Size||27.5 inches|
|Number of Speeds||21|
|Item Weight||35 Pounds|
Equipped with all the required kit and proper guide to assembling easily but with one drawback.
✅ BEST FOR: Down sloppy terrains.
- The Great Braking System contains front and rear disc brakes and helps keep the cyclist safe even at high speeds and down sloppy terrains.
- Shimano 3*7 shifters, front, and rear derailleur make the gearshift sensitive. (Wondering how to adjust derailleur? Read the complete guide here).
- The suspension fork smoothes the bumps and is easy to control.
- Aluminum rims and magnesium wheels for you to choose from.
- Easy assembly Required includes all the tools you need for building and maintaining your bicycle.
- Assembly was easy and took only a few minutes.
- Smooth-shifting for a 21 speed.
- Breaks are very responsive.
- The bike’s handlebar grips are loose and come off while riding the bike.
- Low to the ground. Sometimes toes hit the ground.
- It would be a much better bike if the handlebar could be raised at least a few inches.
Real Customer Reviews: The steering stem is garbage. The bike had promise but has zero parts and assembly information, thus making the bike un-maintainable.
How to Select an MTB Under $5,00?
You need to consider certain factors before having a top mountain bike under 500. Let me walk you through those.
1. Type of Bike
Among a bunch of different options available in the market, the important thing is to know your purpose rather than just selecting randomly.
You should have an idea of what kind of terrain or trails you are looking to drive. Read more about the Mtb types and which one is best for your purpose.
2. Wheel Size
If we talk about the ideal wheel sizes for adult mountain bikes then 26″, 27.5″, and 29″ are ideal sizes. But you have to consider your height while choosing wheel size. If your height is short as mine, then indeed a big wheel is not good enough. Mountain bike riders prefer big wheel bicycles as they provide greater stability on rough trails.
While choosing wheel size, you must know for which purpose are you buying a bike. If you want to cover a short straight distance, then a 26″ is perfect for you. But if you want to go on longer distances, then it is better to have a 27.5″ or 29″wheel size mountain bike.
Besportable MTB with 21 speeds is one of the best mountain bikes under $500 with 27.5” durablility and sturdy wheel to last for years.
It will be convenient for making your journey full of excitement and adventure. Furthermore, if you want more off-road traction on your mountain bike, its wheels must have a larger lug size and deeper grooves.
3. Steel/ Aluminium Frame Material
To prevent damaging your mountain bike frame from blunt forces and natural elements, make sure it is highly resilient.
Stainless steel, aluminum alloy, carbon fiber, and titanium are the top materials used for bike frames. Mountain bikes with carbon frames are considered best as they are lightweight, agile, and let you do the booters, bowls, wheelies, and other bike movements on rough trails easily.
As you are looking for the best mountain bike under $500, you must know that the usual frame material of affordable mountain bikes is steel and aluminum alloy. Aluminum and steel are trustworthy materials and will remain with you for years.
It will decide how long your bike is going to lasts. Biking in the mountains is very different from cycling on the road. As your bike will be exposed to outdoor conditions, it should be durable enough to withstand intense riding.
Mongoose Argus with steel frame is the best bike you can get for under $500, and the material used in its frame is aluminum. It is also recommended to buy a light bike frame since you can easily steer with minimal effort.
Off-road bikes are equipped with specific wheels and have options for riding on any terrain, whether it is dirt, gravel, or paved road. Best mountain bike brands design frames according to the terrain they are made for riding on.
Among the world’s leading gear designers and brake lever designers, Shimano is the world’s leader.
Huffy Hardtail Mountain Trail Bike is the best bike in terms of gears because it has Shimano’s REVO Twist hubs and Shimano’s indexed rear derailleur; you’ll get seamless, smooth shifting just under $500.
Isn’t it an incredible deal?
Various manufactures offer a range of gears ranging from four to thirty. If the biker has a bike with more gears, then riding on steep surfaces as quickly as possible is a piece of cake for the mountain bike rider.
Then no need to go for expensive options; you can still get the best mountain bike for under 500 dollars.
Whenever we buy something, Brakes are as important as the speed and agility of the mountain bike.
Whenever you look for the best bike for you, considering its brakes is an essential factor. In best mountain bikes under $500, mostly Disc brakes or Mechanical disc brakes are used.
Vilano Blackjack 3.0 29. er is one of the best models under$ 500. The Brake system used in this bike is a mechanical disk connected to a cable attached to pull the caliper down. It implements an opposing force on the pads against the router to stop the bike.
6. Drivetrain & Weight
The drivetrain in a mountain bike is a combination of different parts such as cassette, chainrings, chains, derailleurs, and shifters. The drivetrain is important because if the drivetrain is good and of high quality, it will be a lot easier for you to tear the mountain trails.
Before considering anything else, looking at the features of the drivetrain will let you invest your hard-earned money in the best bike.
Mountain bikes under $500 weigh more than 12 kg. Because their body frames are made using aluminum and steel, carbon in bikes makes them lightweight. So, bikes under $500 will be heavier.
When discussing the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars, the first thing that you need to consider is your budget. Because no one would like to sacrifice quality and adhere to a budget, if you get a low-quality bike by sticking to your budget, it will be of no use.
So, never compromise quality over quantity. It will always create more trouble for you. Look for the best option that suits you well.
The trick to look carefully is to explore all the options in the market and choose the best one.
Are mountain bikes faster than bicycles on the road?
The built and knobby tires of these best mountain bikes under 500 dollars are responsible for their slower speed than road bikes. However, you can buy another set of tires designed for paved roads and install that on your MTB.
What are the numerous mountain bike brands?
Some popular MTB brands in the market include Trek Bikes, Giant Bicycles, Santa Cruz, Cannondale, Diamondback, Yeti Cycles, Pivot Cycles, Ibis Cycles, and more.
When using a 27.5′′ or 29′′ bike tire, what is the difference?
When you want faster acceleration, a 27.5″ wheel size is an excellent choice, whereas a 29″ tire is suitable for long-distance trails.
Is it okay on paved roads to use mountain bikes?
Yes, it is viable, and most riders prefer to use MTBs than any other bike type because of its versatility and toughness.
These best mountain bikes under 500 dollars have the best quality and features we recommend for your first drive. Although mountain bikes are not too advanced in this price range, you can get a lot of value for your money if you choose the right one.
Don’t be fooled by bookings with full suspension and shiny parts that look fancy, but rather look for a sturdy frame and reliable components. For people looking to start mountain biking, bikes at this price are excellent to take start with.
Enjoy the ride to its fullest!
Beautiful lines sweeter than honey. Gud luck writer
Thanks for the wonderful guide.
Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. Augusta Edlin Chamberlin
Hello, constantly I used to check blog posts here in the early hours in the break of day, for the reason that I like to find out more and more.
The effort from the writer, editor, graphics designer, and quality controller reflects in the final output. Thumbs up
Such a valueable guide! Xspec Folding is the goto one
can you recommend some options under 300? I have been pulled down regarding the budget.
Hi Joe, we’ll definitely work on it.